Skip to main content

Electric cars the answer for the future -- and the present

By Candace Page
Free Press Staff Writer








MONTPELIER -- Electric cars will "inevitably" replace gasoline-powered vehicles in coming decades, a Vermont researcher told lawmakers Wednesday, and the state can take steps now to prepare for and help speed the transition to a cleaner transportation system.





"The plug-in hybrid is the car of the future," Prof. Steven Letendre of Green Mountain College testified, "but this isn't futuristic stuff. These cars are out there now. Companies are taking the (Toyota) Prius hybrid and altering them to plug into the electric grid. They'll get 100 miles to the gallon."






Letendre was one of three speakers on the fourth day of a legislative inquiry into climate change and the ways Vermont can reduce its contribution to the greenhouse gases blamed for global warming.







More...

Comments

Anonymous said…
I do beleive electric cars are the way forward. I have done a lot of research into this area having grown up in London, I don't want my children growing up with high levels of pollution that are currently present. So I've done something about it. I have invested in an electric car from the Nice Car company. They were very helpful and allowed me to carry out a test drive prior to buying a car. The car itself has to date proved to be very successful and financially more economical!One of the other benefits of the nice car is the noise, the car is so quiet I love it, even my friends have commented on how quiet it is!!

Popular posts from this blog

Choices For Sustainable Living

Why the era of cheap food is over

Climate Confusion: Who Wins?